Who can take the Teacher Trainings?
Both Level 1 and Level 2 Teacher Trainings are suitable for those who are:
Enthusiastic about yoga and maintain a regular yoga practice
Enthusiastic about working with children
Open to learning from children
Open to working spontaneously within a set structure
Able to communicate clearly and in a light-hearted manner
Patient and kind
It is also desirable but not required for the Big Dog Little Dog Teacher to also have undertaken some training in one or more of the following:
Somatic Techniques (such as Feldenkrais, Alexander Technique, Pilates)
Massage or other bodywork practice
Experience in working with children
How do I become qualified to teach Big Dog Little Dog?
2) Work through the course content. The video material is available for 6 months and the manuals and PDFs (if you choose to download them) are yours to keep always.
3) Simultaneously, you will become a part of our private teacher's group where you can also pitch questions and comments about Big Dog Little Dog as you work through the course. This is also a lively arena on Facebook for sharing information, cooking up ideas and collaboration.
4) At the end of the course, in order to qualify to teach under the BDLD brand you will need to send video documentation to April (email@example.com) of you teaching some of the course material to a parent-child pair.
5) Additionally, we would like to feature you on this website as a Qualified Teacher and will request that you send us a head shot and short bio along with your video material.
6) After satisfactory review of your teaching videos, you will then receive your teacher's certificate and you will be made an Administrator of the BDLD public Facebook group so the you can personally advertise your BDLD classes, workshops and/or retreats.
7) You will need to sign a copy of the BDLD License Agreement which protects the Big Dog Little Dog name.
What is included in the Trainings?
PDF files for you to download and keep forever, video footage of how to execute and teach the different poses, theory behind the components in each curriculum, sample lessons (Level 2), hand mudras to aid concentration.
Where do the principles embedded in the training come from?
The Big Dog Little Dog class content is based on principles found in classical Ashtanga yoga, hatha yoga, somatic and developmental movement, experiential anatomy, acro-yoga and therapeutic flying, Yin and Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga (Level 2), adjustments/assists, empathy and non-verbal communication studies.
Who is April Nunes Tucker?
April is mother to Lincoln (age 9) and Grace (age 8) who have helped her to develop the Big Dog Little Dog content over the last five years. April also has a PhD in dance with an experitise in human movement analysis. She has been teaching yoga for over 20 years. Before working on the development of Big Dog Little Dog, April was a Lecturer in Dance in UK universities and in her early career she worked as a primary school teacher.
What are the benefits of becomming a BDLD teacher?
Unlike a franchise where class content is set in stone, the Big Dog Little Dog training provides you with a "toolbox" of skills and lets you choose how to arrange and present them in a way that works best for you and your students.
You and your class(es) will be listed on the Big Dog Little Dog website.
You will have access to the Big Dog Little Dog Teachers Facebook 'closed group' for inspiration, discussions, a place to share ideas and questions.
You will have permission to include Qualified Big Dog Little Dog Teacher as one of your credentials.
You will be authorized to use the Big Dog Little Dog name and logo in your own marketing for one year including on business cards, advertisements, and your website. We will provide a high-res Big Dog Little Dog logos for your use on your own materials and website. A yearly renewal fee of £25.00 is required.
You can market your teaching qualification to yoga enthusiasts in your area and conduct Big Dog Little Dog classes.
You will receive an official certificate declaring your status as a Qualified Level 1 Big Dog Little Dog Teacher.
What do the teacher trainings cost?
What happens if I want to cancel my training after I have already paid?
No refunds will be given for the online course.
Do I need a DBS check to teach Big Dog Little Dog?
No. The children you are teaching are always in the company of their parent or guardian.
Do I need insurance to teach Big Dog Little Dog?
Yes. We strongly reccommend that you seek out a comprehensive insurance policy before you set up your Big Dog Little Dog classes. Most insurers will want to see a copy of your Big Dog Little Dog Teacher Training Certificate before you open your policy with them.
I still have questions...
Please email April. She'll be happy to help.